Auto accidents can be traumatic for you and your family members. They can also end up costing you a considerable amount of money in medical expenses and time lost from work because of injuries sustained in these incidents. Working with a South Florida auto accident lawyer is typically the best way to deal with these situations and to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and expenses incurred because of the negligent actions of others.
What to Do After an Accident
In the immediate aftermath of an accident, you may be disoriented or confused about exactly what has happened. This is especially true if you have sustained injuries in the crash. After the accident, it is important to follow a few simple guidelines:
- Check to see if anyone in your vehicle has sustained injuries.
- Do not admit fault to anyone, including the other driver or law enforcement personnel.
- Seek medical attention immediately if you have any signs of injury or disorientation.
- Call your insurance company as soon as possible to inform them of the accident.
- Obtain insurance and contact information from the other driver.
- Take the names of any witnesses to the accident along with their contact information.
- Call a South Florida auto accident lawyer as soon as possible to begin the process of obtaining compensation for the accident.
Your attorney will often streamline the process of pursuing your personal injury claim and helping you to obtain the financial compensation to which you are entitled under the law.
Services Provided by Your South Florida Auto Accident Lawyer
Your lawyer will perform some important services on your behalf, including the following:
- Documenting the facts of the accident, your medical bills and insurance information
- Seeking statements from witnesses to the accident to support your claim for compensation
- Discussing the accident with you and determining the precise costs of your care, including any long-term therapy or medical treatment you may need
- Establishing a plan of attack for pursuing your case both in and out of the courtroom setting
- Negotiating a settlement with the defense team to ensure that you get the highest possible compensation for your injuries and expenses
- Taking the case to trial if an acceptable settlement cannot be reached
By choosing a qualified and knowledgeable South Florida personal injury lawyer, you can enjoy greater peace of mind and an increased chance of success in obtaining the compensation you need and deserve.
Types of Damages For Which You Can Receive Compensation in Florida
Florida is a no-fault insurance state. This means that, in most cases, you will need to file a claim with your own insurance company to recover the costs of your accident. If the other driver or another party was at fault in the accident, however, you may be able to sue to recover any costs associated with the accident that were not fully covered by your insurance. This may include pain and suffering damages if you meet certain criteria, which include the following:
- The loss of an ability to perform a necessary bodily function
- Irreversible and significant scarring
- Permanent injury or a permanent worsening of a pre-existing medical condition
- Death or dismemberment
The state of Florida recognizes two types of damages in auto accident cases:
- Economic losses include the loss of wages due to the accident, medical bills and even the expenses associated with restoring or replacing your vehicle.
- Pain and suffering damages, however, are considered non-economic damages and include the actual physical pain you suffer, the traumatic mental and emotional effects of these events and other injuries that may not impact your ability to earn a living.
Your South Florida personal injury lawyer will work diligently on your behalf to ensure that these damages are considered and factored into your settlement or court award when your case is heard.
A Note About Truck Accidents
If you have been involved in a serious auto accident with a large commercial truck, you may have a case not only against the truck driver but also against the company for which they work and other parties who are in part responsible for the driver’s actions. Because collisions between large trucks and smaller passenger vehicles often result in catastrophic injuries and deaths for those in the smaller vehicle, it is absolutely essential that you and your family consult with a qualified South Florida auto accident lawyer to ensure that you receive fair treatment both in and out of court.
Working With a South Florida Personal Injury Lawyer
With two former judges and over 50 years experience the lawyers at Pozo Goldstein offer real help for clients who have been involved in serious auto accidents. Our team of attorneys will work with you to provide the right representation for your personal injury case in South Florida. Call us today at 305-856-0400 to schedule your free consultation today. We do not accept any payment until we win your case and obtain compensation for you.